CLEO TV’s NEW SOUL KITCHEN goes back in time this week as the chefs share recipes from their childhood with Chef Bren Herrera and Restaurateur, Entrepreneur and Host Chef Jernard Wells this Saturday, December 12 at 9 P.M. ET/8C and 9:30 P.M. ET/8:30C. This episode will give viewers comforting dishes to complete their holiday spread.
Chef Bren takes viewers on a tasteful journey to her home country of Cuba with a traditional Cuban stewed chicken dish, Pollo en Fricassée. Chef Jernard treats viewers to his Momma’s Kitchen Sink Meatloaf with Garlic Roasted Potatoes. Though the holiday season may look a bit different this year, these dishes will be sure to give viewers a true sense of home.
NEW SOUL KITCHEN is produced by Powerhouse Productions, with Rochelle Brown and Sonia Armstead serving as Executive Producers. For CLEO TV, Susan Henry and Gold Morgan serve as Executives in Charge of Production; Donyell Kennedy-McCullough is Senior Director of Talent & Casting. Robyn Greene Arrington is Vice President of Original Programming and Production.
For more information about CLEO TV visit http://www.mycleo.tv and check out CLEO TV YouTube Channel. Viewers can also join the conversation by connecting via social media on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook (@mycleotv) using the hashtag #NEWSOULKITCHEN and #CLEOTV.
Pollo en Fricassée
Recipe Courtesy of Bren Herrera
2 tablespoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 pounds chicken, 4 breasts, 4 legs
1 cup white onion, diced
1 green pepper, julienne slices
5 cloves garlic, mashed
2 large carrots, cut into 1” round slices
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
8 oz. tomato sauce
½ cup dry white cooking wine
½ cup red wine
½ cup chicken stock
2 white potatoes, cut into 1” pieces
½ cup Spanish olives with pimento
¼ cup raisins
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat add oil. Season the clean
chicken with salt and pepper and add the chicken to the pan and lightly
brown 6-7 minutes on each side. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add green bell pepper, onion, carrots, and saute. Then add in the apple cider
vinegar and stir to combine.
- Add the garlic to the pan and keep on medium-low heat while adding the
- Once the vegetables have cooked down a bit add in the tomato sauce, the
white wine, the red wine, and the chicken stock. Then add in oregano,
cumin, and bay leaves.
- Add the chicken pieces back into the pan along with the potatoes followed
by the olives and raisins and stir everything to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring very gently, making sure not to tear
- Cook for about 40 minutes until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is
Momma’s Kitchen Sink Meatloaf
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jernard Wells
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 large egg beaten
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup of yellow corn
1/2 cup sweet peas
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Topping:
1/4 cup ketchup
1 can of Chipotle in Adobo sauce, diced
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the beef, oatmeal, onion, coconut milk, egg, 2
tablespoons ketchup, corn, sweet peas, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt,
garlic powder, and pepper. Use your hands to blend and mix these
ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Add the ground meat mixture into a loaf pan patting the meat down into an
- In a small bowl mix 1/4 cup ketchup, Chipotle Adobo sauce, brown sugar,
and vinegar until combined.
- Pour half of the sauce on top of the meatloaf spreading into an even layer.
Save half of the sauce for after it bakes in the oven.
- Bake the meatloaf uncovered for about 55 minutes. Let the meatloaf rest for
8-10 minutes before it is served (it may fall apart without resting).