Shannon Gaskins has been employed with a Fortune 500 company for twenty years. Shannon continuously works with other leaders to enhance her leadership and professional skills when assisting with special projects. She has served as an Engagement Ambassador which allowed her to create positive action plans to support the company’s mission while also supporting the employee’s personal goals. With Shannon’s new role as Development Ambassador she provides resources, skills and behaviors needed for current or future roles within the corporate arena. In 2016 Shannon assisted Perfectly Flawed Life Coaching (founder Dionne Selby) with planning and facilitating monthly community events.
Tell readers about your GPS Life Coaching Service and when did you start it?
On November 9, 2017 I became founder and owner of GPS Life Coaching Service LLC. As a certified life coach I’m dedicated to developing individuals as they advance towards their personal and professional goals, purpose and success.
What services do you offer to your clients and are they in person only or online also?
Personal Life Coaching
- Identifying what success looks like to you
- Overcoming Fears/Embracing Flaws
- Build Your Brand
- Establishing an action plan for your top three goals
- Recognizing distractions and moving past them
- Owning your circle
- Writing a Resume/Business Portfolio
- Positioning yourself for success
- Fail forward – learning from rejection
- Professional Dialogue/Communication
- Networking Do’s and Don’ts
- Mock Interviews
- Being comfortable with your own company
- Being the person you want to attract
- Dealing with controversy
- Agreeing to disagree
- Expectations vs Reality
- Life Insurance, 401k; IRAs; Money Markets
- Making smart investments
Health and Wellness
- Fitness Classes – yoga, Zumba
- Overcoming fear of doctor visit (know your numbers)
- Healthy eating
- Knowing your family health background
2nd Chance Support Group
- Accepting past obstacles and moving forward
- Establishing goals/trades
- Access to employers willing to give a second chance
- Renter/Rooming House/Transitional Home
Dare to Be Different Mentoring Program
- Social Media Etiquette
- Writing a Resume
- Community involvement
- Financial Responsibilities
- Turning Dreams into Goals
- College Prep: Writing College Entry Essay, FAFSA
What advice would you give someone trying to build their brand?
Clarify your purpose – why are you here – what do you want to get out of your time
- Be intentional
- Embrace Change
- It’s not what you say but what others believe about you
- IF you don’t define it for yourself others will define it for you
- Be invaluable/on demand
- Start right where you are – it doesn’t matter when you start it’s where you finish
- SUCCESS is an INSIDE job
How many resumes would you recommend a person should have?
The number of resumes depends on your career goals. I would recommend not having more than two resumes as you do not want to give the impression that you don’t have clear direction on meeting your goals. I also encourage people to know your resume prior to an interview. You do not want to fumble over answers when the interviewer ask specific questions regarding your resume.
I read online having a Hotmail account seems outdated and you should have updated email like Gmail. Do you agree or disagree?
I would agree that Gmail is a more updated than Hotmail. Gmail has more storage and integrates with Google which is one of the world’s most popular search engine. It is also convenient that Gmail will remember your contacts, no matter what device you are using.
How important is having a IRA or 401K and what age would you recommend starting one?
One of the largest benefits of a Roth IRA is a tax free withdrawal of retirement earnings due to the money already being taxed. A 401k is an employer-sponsored deferred contribution that comes out of your paycheck before income taxes are taken out. When you make a withdrawal from your 401k the withdrawals are subject to income taxing. Your employee may also contribute to your 401k account. I would recommend making sure you invest in one or both options as soon as you are old enough to work (age 16-18 years old).
What are the best websites in your opinion to search for jobs?
Indeed, LinkedIn and CareerBuilder.
Any advice for someone trying to become a business owner or someone trying to become a life coach?
Discover your MVP (Mission, Vision & Purpose)
Mission (What) drives focused action, explains unique contribution; stay true to who you are
Vision (How) re-imagining the future; re-invent what the future looks like; short/long term goals; maintain excitement and passion by having a clear vision; where do you see yourself going; what do you need to do right now
Purpose (Why) I am… I am here because…
What you do daily is who you become permanently.
Where would you like to see your company at in the next five years?
In the next five years I would like to have a development center with multiple of life coaches including youth coaches. I would like to also partner with the school system to utilize life coaching to improve student/teacher relationships and align electives with student’s potential career goals.
How can readers keep in contact with you online and social media?
Facebook profile: GPSLifeCoachingService. Instagram Page: GPSLifeCoachingServiceLLC